Sunday, March 25, 2007

"Begin at the beginning", the King said, gravely,

“and go till you come to the end; then stop. ” - Lewis Carroll

I dusted off my 128MB RAM, 20GB hardrive laptop today to revamp it. The lappy was bought for the very purpose of writing hobby code, about 2 years ago. Since then, the learning process of installing Linux single-handedly and testing out the various package/module installs, just to get the wireless LAN, the audio, the USB mouse, and the CD writer working, not to mention power management, and some attempts of building kernel had left it battle-weary. Last week, I did what any fearless engineer would do - format the whole danged hard disk to start over! And today, I did just that: I began at the beginning.

I've installation disks for Debian Woody I'd purchased some moons ago. 2.4 kernel. That's so yesterday. The plan therefore, is to create new partitions (and remove Windoze entirely), install 2.4, download new kernel and upgrade to 2.6. I'm toying with the idea of 2 installations of Linux on 2 separate partitions so I can develop on one of them and test on the other.

Once the latest stable Debian is built and installed - and that's going to be a project in itself - I'll setup a development environment with necessary programming/debugging tools on one of the partitions.

Then on will ensue programming endeavors. That's the generic roadmap to this blog. Welcome!

No comments: